[Simh] Running a BACKUP job on TOPS-10

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Sun Apr 5 11:49:01 EDT 2015

Michael Short wrote:

> I have been trying to run a BACKUP job but I can't seem to
> get the commands right to get the tape mounted. I keep getting
> the message ?BKPCOM Can't open MAG tape when I issue the TAPE
> command.
>
> I think it has something to do with the ALLOCATE or MOUNT, but MOUNT
> queues and never quits. It appears that MOUNT doesn't know that a tape
> has been attached.
>
> If someone has done this before could they give me a sequence of SIMH and
> TOPS-10 commands to get the tape recognized?
>
> Thanks.

Normally on a tops-10 system GALAXY is running, and will handle tapes
for you via the operator, and the OPR interface.  In order to open a
tape device directly from a user program you must tell GALAXY to stay
out of the way.  This is done by running OPR and giving the command:

   OPR> SET TAPE mta0: UNAVAILABLE

(or spelled something like that)

>From now on the tape device should be accessable from user jobs.

--Johnny