[Simh] Some TAP image files aren't quite right

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Sat May 24 18:50:39 EDT 2014

Al,

On 24 May 2014, at 3:36 PM, <simh-request at trailing-edge.com> <simh-request at trailing-edge.com> wrote:

> On 5/24/14 2:42 PM, Larry Baker wrote:
>> While I've been helping Cory to copy his TAP mag tape image file to a real TK50, I've discovered that the TAP image he's been using does not correctly follow Bob Supnik's SIMH Magtape Representation
>> and Handling document (http://simh.trailing-edge.com/docs/simh_magtape.pdf).  I don't know how SIMH TAP images get created.
>
> If he's taking them from bitsavers, they ARE NOT SIMH .tap images.

I downloaded the problem SIMH tape image from ftp://ftp.trailing-edge.com/pub/rsts_dists/rstse_v10_1_install_sep10_1992.tap.bz2.  That's not BitSavers, right?

I downloaded a valid SIMH tape image from http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/DEC/pdp11/magtapes/rsx11mplus/BB-3077D-SC_RSX-11M+_V3.0_SRC_1985.tap.  Which is BitSavers, right?

> Bob came up with his modifications after I wrote my tape recovery software, and I used John Wilson's .tap format.

I don't know how John's format differs from Bob's.  Is there a reference online you can point me to?

> It would have been nice if the trailer record saying what revision of .tap was being used that I proposed was adopted,
> but it never was.

Thanks,

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey