[Simh] idle and throttle on Solaris

Michael L. Umbricht mike at umbricht.org
Mon May 19 15:01:16 EDT 2014

Mark, I downloaded the beta copy and ran it before modifying /etc/system

MicroVAX 3900 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: 2c0cedcc
sim> set idle
Idling is not available, Minimum OS sleep time is 11ms
Command not allowed

I then added just one line to the end of /etc/system

set hires_tick=1

followed by a Solaris reboot.

Setting idle or throttle then worked and the cpu usage on a SunFire V100
550 MHz Ultra drops to a reasonable value of 5-10% or so. (Slightly on
the higher side of that range for vax780 as compared to microvax3900.)

According to the
https://blogs.oracle.com/jtc/entry/overhead_in_increasing_the_solaris
link from Sergey the "set hires_hz=1000" line is redundant as the
default is already 1000 per second.

The interrupts did increase by a factor of 4 or 5 as expected but so far
I do not see any adverse impact on system performance. The average SY
time on an idle system barely increased from 1 to 2%

Thanks for the help.

-mikeu