[Simh] IBM1620 usage

Fausto Saporito fausap at unina.it
Tue Mar 25 10:30:40 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I'm trying to use the i1620 without any luck.
I downloaded the papertapes archives from bitsavers archive (software part)
and I was able to start the fortran compiler (fo003ap.pt), but when I have
to process my source file, I have a lot of problems.

I'm using an utility ascii2pt (found in the bitsavers archive) to convert
the txt in pt format.
The simulator always complains about PTR end of file.
Here is the session, and the ini file:

set cpu mod2
set cpu fp
dep sw1 1
dep 0 rnpt 0
att ptp punch.txt
att ptr fo003ap.pt
att lpt printer.txt

sim> run 0

1620 FORTRAN VER-2 PROCESSOR    8/63
ENTER SOURCE PROGRAM, PUSH START
HALT instruction, PC: 8116 (B 00402,01608)

sim> att ptr output.pt
sim> c
PTR end of file

I/O error, PC: 546 (RAPT 17323)

output.pt is the ascii2pt utility output. The txt file is ASCII standard
with windows end of line (i tried also unix with the same result).

So I tried using TTY, setting the sw3 to 1.

IBM 1620 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: 9068ea0e
sim> dep sw3 1
sim> run 0

1620 FORTRAN VER-2 PROCESSOR    8/63
ENTER SOURCE PROGRAM, PUSH START
HALT instruction, PC: 8116 (B 00402,01608)
sim> c

>C    TEXT FORTRAN PROGRAM

`08300 C    TEXT FORTRAN PROGRAM

>  100 READ 7,A,B

`08300   100 READ 7,A,BN PROGRAM

Overflow check, PC: 8416 (C 17303,17313)
sim>

in the fortran pdf manual I read after you type the first line of your
program, you have to "... press the "record mark key", then press release,
then start key to continue the compilation. The carriage will return after
each statement has been processed, to await the entry of the next statement
until an END statement is entered".

Do you have any idea ?

thanks in advance,
Fausto