[Simh] EXT : Ultrix 1.0

Matt Burke matt at 9track.net
Sat Jun 28 19:52:16 EDT 2014

That's right, the QVSS wasn't too bad to implement once I worked out how
to handle the scan-line map and the cursor overlay.

I've partly implemented the QDSS, but it's very complicated. The host
does not have direct access to the frame buffer as with the QVSS. There
is an "Adder" address processor that handles the movement of data
between the QBus and the frame buffer. The "Adder" also transfers
commands or "rasterops" to the 4 or 8 "Viper" video processors, each of
which manipulate 1 plane of data in the frame buffer. Each plane can be
individually stretched, skewed, rotated etc. by these processors.

There's enough documentation available to do this, but given the
complexity I don't think it will get finished any time soon. You can see
some of the progress with Simh video here:

http://9track.net/simh/video/

Matt