[Simh] Standalone boot on vax8600?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jul 10 22:05:56 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-11 02:41, Henry Bent wrote:
> I got a console RL02 image from Quasijarus - the only one I could find
> easily - but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.  All I get is
> this:
>
> --
> sim> boot cs /r5:8
>

> Please remove the volume "" from the console device.
>
> Insert the first standalone system volume and enter "YES" when ready:
> --

That is expected. If you actually do this, you are expected to actually
have the *system* on an RL02, that you will be booting from. As the
normal console pack have all the diagnostics, boot images, microcode,
and so on, there is no other system on that pack.
This means that you are expected to replace the console pack at this
point with another RL02 which contains some kind of a system.
For normal VMS installations, this is how you initially install VMS. The
second RL02 will contain STABACKIT, which is the standalone backup
system. That is in turn used to restore from tapes to some actual other
drive you have on the system, thus creating a bootable system disk.

Unless you really are installing VMS from scratch, this is probably not
something you want to do, or is what you thought you were doing.

You probably want to boot from some actual disk you have, such as an RA
disk attached to the machine. See my other mail about boot command files
for the 86x0 machines.

Oh, and I have never used Quasijaurus, so for that specific topic I
can't offer any help.

So you have a real physical 86x0 machine? Nice! Ping me off list, if you
want to talk some more about it.

	Johnny