[Simh] Standalone boot on vax8600?

Henry Bent hbent at oberlin.edu
Thu Jul 10 20:41:29 EDT 2014

I got a console RL02 image from Quasijarus - the only one I could find
easily - but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.  All I get is
this:

--
sim> boot cs /r5:8

Please remove the volume "" from the console device.

Insert the first standalone system volume and enter "YES" when ready:
--

But that's neither here nor there at this point.  The 8600 doesn't seem to
be able to run any standalone utilities - they all print one character to

sim> load -o copy 0
sim> run 2

sim> load -o format 0
sim> run 2

While on any other vax simulator, I get:

sim> load -o copy 0
sim> run 2

sim> load -o format 0
sim> run 2
Disk format/check utility

Enable debugging (0=none, 1=bse, 2=ecc, 3=bse+ecc)?

I haven't done any real testing of the qbus vax sims, I just verified that
they could load and run standalone utilities.

-Henry