[Simh] Windows8

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Oct 24 15:15:26 EDT 2013

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Matt wrote:
> On 24/10/2013 19:11, Kevin Handy wrote:
> >
> > However, there are a lot of problems.
> > 1. Terminal is awful. No VT emulation at all. I set up the Dz to port
> > 4000, (ATT DZ 4000)  and have tried to attach to it using Kermit95,
> > but it can't. I need to have a VT terminal emulation to be able to run
> > my programs.
> > 2. Whenever I try to start up networking withing VMS (decnet or
> > tcpip), it completely locks up. It hangs when it accesses the network
> > interface. Control/E does nothing at that pont. Letting it sit for a
> > while does nothing.
> >

> Simh does not do terminal emulation, you need to use an external program
> like Kermit95. To setup the console to listen on a telnet port use 'set
> console telnet=4000' or other port number.
> You probably need to run Simh as an administrator on Windows 8 (right
> click on executable?) as privileged operations like creating TCP ports
> and using WinPCAP are probably blocked under standard user accounts.

Actually, the normal WinPCap install automatically starts WinPCap capture driver and sets it up to autostart at boot time.  Privilege is needed to install WinPCap, but not after that.  This is independent of simh.

As I mentioned previously, if you're going to use telnet to connect to the console port as Matt suggests here, or to DZ ports as in your configuration file, you will only need privilege to allow the simh binary to establish a listen port the first time.  On my system I run the simh binary without privilege.  When I execute the ATTACH DZ or SET CONSOLE TELNET command, I get a "Windows Security Alert" popup telling me that the firewall has blocked access.  I click on the "Allow Access" button and provide Administrator credentials to allow the access.  As long as the same binary is subsequently run from the same place, that single granting of firewall access will suffice permanently, and the simulator will be able to run without privilege.

- Mark