[Simh] Size of disks created by Simulator

Bucher, Andreas (Andreas)** CTR ** andreas.bucher at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Nov 11 08:50:13 EST 2013

Hi,

that's quite easy:

1)
Either in the SIMH console or in the VAX.INI file used to configure your simulation, use the following commands:

{from VAX.INI}

; This virtual machine has 256M memory (cpu extend to enable mem >64M)
; note: set cpu extend is not needed, as it is implicitely included in the 256m setting
;set cpu extend
set cpu 256m

; Define disk drive types. (RAUSER=sizeMB is variable size)
set rq0 ra92
set rq1 rauser=2000
set rq2 cdrom
;set rq3 cdrom
set rq3 rauser=20000
; the latter will define DUA3: in VMS as ~20GB = ~40Mio blocks

; Attach defined drives to local files
attach rq0 d0.dsk
attach rq1 d1.dsk
attach rq3 d3.dsk
; d3.dsk will be the ~20GB image file of DUA3:

; Attach the CD-ROM to its image file (read-only)
attach -r rq2 ..\images\vms072.iso

2)
then boot up the system:
simh> boot cpu
(or put this command in the VAX.INI, and launch the VAX emulator)

3)
Once VMS has loaded, you need to initialize the newly created disk:
$ init dua3: test

This may take a while, as now, the d3.dsk container file on the host is written, as VMS initializes the file system inside it.

4)
Next, mount it:
$ mount dua3: test

5)
If you list your devices now, you should see about 40M Blocks = 20GB

$ show dev d

Device                  Device           Error    Volume         Free  Trans Mnt
 Name                   Status           Count     Label        Blocks Count Cnt
VXAB03$DUA0:            Mounted              0  SYS1            762768   283   1
VXAB03$DUA1:            Mounted              0  DAT1           3797752     1   1
VXAB03$DUA2:            Online               0
VXAB03$DUA3:            Mounted alloc        0  TEST          39079352     1   1

6) Your 20GB disk is now usable:
$ dir dua3:[000000]

Directory DUA3:[000000]

000000.DIR;1        BACKUP.SYS;1        BADBLK.SYS;1        BADLOG.SYS;1
BITMAP.SYS;1        CONTIN.SYS;1        CORIMG.SYS;1        INDEXF.SYS;1
SECURITY.SYS;1      VOLSET.SYS;1

Total of 10 files.

7) The next time you boot um VMS and need this disk, you only have to mount it.

Hope this helps !

Kind Regards,
Andreas