[Simh] how to get eth connexion

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Nov 5 07:55:39 EST 2013

On Tuesday, November 05, 2013 at 3:56 AM, Gérard Calliet wrote:
> Thanks for the answers. It works, now.

What works now?  The Wired network connection or the WiFi one?

> Just to get some understanding :
> 1) we need two different MAC address : why ? because the distinction is at
> the mac level ?

We're simulating a whole computer within your desktop system.  Each computer that exists on any network has a network device connected to that network wire.  That network device, by definition is supposed to have a unique MAC address which allows the network to send packets to that device and to receive packets from that device.

> 2) I saw we need at least one ip host connexion alive to have a connexion for
> simh - I am on Windows with wincap -. Again, why ?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'need at least one ip host connexion alive'.  Are you saying that you need to be connected to a network?

If you are asking 'why' details specifically about WiFi functionality, you are beyond the scope of my support.  I don't run simh simulators on WiFi networks due to the limitations of WiFi supporting a single MAC address per WiFi connection, and my needs to test the breadth of protocol functional for DEC systems.

I've tried to walk you through getting things working on a wired network connection.  Once you are successful there, you are welcome to explore whether what you are trying to do can also be made to work on a WiFi connection.  There is some discussion about this in the simh FAQ (http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/simh_faq.pdf).

- Mark