[Simh] card reader and running commands

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Mon May 27 15:36:18 EDT 2013

On Monday, May 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Timothe Litt wrote:
> RE: the 'what commands should we be able to do without stopping the
> simulator' discussion:
>
> Based on this,  "set cr reset" is one of them that we didn't think of
> before.  (Or at least, I didn't.)

This will work just fine with the remote console support currently available in the current simh code base at github.

The Remote Console Facility allows a TELNET Connection to a user designated port so that some out of band commands can be entered to manipulate and/or adjust a running simulator. The commands which enable and control this capability are SET REMOTE TELNET=port, SET REMOTE CONNECTIONS=n, SET REMOTE TIMEOUT=seconds, and SHOW REMOTE.

The remote console facility has two modes of operation: 1) single command mode. and 2) multiple command mode.
In single command mode you enter one command at a time and aren't concerned about what the simulated system is doing while you enter that command. The command is executed once you've hit return. In multiple command mode you initiate your activities by entering the WRU character (usually ^E). This will suspend the current simulator execution. You then enter commands as needed and when you are done you enter a CONTINUE command. While entering Multiple Command commands, if you fail to enter a complete command before the timeout (specified by "SET REMOTE TIMEOUT=seconds"), a CONTINUE command is automatically processed and simulation proceeds.

A subset of normal simh commands are available for use in remote console sessions. The Single Command Mode commands are: ATTACH, DETACH, PWD, SHOW, DIR, LS, ECHO, HELP The Multiple Command Mode commands are: EXAMINE, IEXAMINE, DEPOSIT, EVALUATE, ATTACH, DETACH, ASSIGN, DEASSIGN, STEP, CONTINUE, PWD, SAVE, SET, SHOW, DIR, LS, ECHO, HELP