[Simh] PDP8, Adventure, and SIMH

Rob Doyle radioengr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 14:12:52 EDT 2013

I just noticed that my PDP8 FPGA implementation differs from SIMH
when dealing with mixed/lower case text.

I also checked the operation on David Gesswein's online PDP8 and the
operation of a real PDP8 matches the operation of my PDP8 FPGA and
differs from SIMH.

I did use exactly the same RK05 disk image for both SIMH and the PDP8
FPGA. The image for the real PDP8 /could/ be different.

I'm guessing that SIMH intentionally forces upper case because I didn't
do anything special to the PDP8 FPGA. I didn't see any SIMH
configuration options to change this.

Is this intentional?

Rob.

*------ Using SIMH ------*

.EX ADVENT.LD

WELCOME TO ADVENTURE!!  WOULD YOU LIKE INSTRUCTIONS?

 > YES
SOMEWHERE NEARBY IS COLOSSAL CAVE, WHERE OTHERS HAVE FOUND FORTUNES
IN TREASURE AND GOLD,THOUGH IT IS RUMORED THAT SOME WHO ENTER ARE NEVER
SEEN AGAIN. MAGIC IS SAID TO WORK IN THE CAVE.  I WILL BE YOUR EYES
AND HANDS.  DIRECT ME WITH COMMANDS OF 1 OR 2 WORDS.  I SHOULD WARN
YOU THAT I LOOK AT ONLY THE FIRST FOUR LETTERS OF EACH WORD,SO YOU'LL
HAVE TO ENTER "NORTHEAST" AS "NE" TO DISTINGUISH IT FROM "NORTH".
(SHOULD YOU GET STUCK, TYPE "HELP" FOR SOME GENERAL HINTS.  FOR
INFORMATION ON HOW TO END YOUR ADVENTURE, ETC., TYPE "INFO".)
       - - -
THIS PROGRAM WAS ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED BY WILLIE CROWTHER. MOST OF
THE FEATURES OF THE CURRENT PROGRAM WERE ADDED BY DON WOODS.
THIS VERSION, FOR THE PDP-8, WAS DONE BY DICK MURPHY. IT IS
BASED ON A VERSION FOR RT-11 DONE BY BOB SUPNIK.

* ------ My PDP8 FPGA: ------ *

.EX ADVENT.LD

Welcome to Adventure!!  Would you like instructions?

 > yes
Somewhere nearby is Colossal Cave, where others have found fortunes
in treasure and gold,though it is rumored that some who enter are never
seen again. Magic is said to work in the cave.  I will be your eyes
and hands.  Direct me with commands of 1 or 2 words.  I should warn
you that I look at only the first four letters of each word,so you'll
have to enter "northeast" as "ne" to distinguish it from "north".
(Should you get stuck, type "help" for some general hints.  For
information on how to end your adventure, etc., type "INFO".)
       - - -
This program was originally developed by Willie Crowther. Most of
the features of the current program were added by Don Woods.
This version, for the PDP-8, was done by Dick Murphy. it is
based on a version for RT-11 done by Bob Supnik.

* ------ David Gesswein's Online PDP8: ------ *

RUN RKB0:ADVENT