[Simh] HP2100 - 12821A

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sat Jun 22 01:11:49 EDT 2013

Lyle,

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 23:37, Lyle Bickley wrote:

> Unfortunately, SIMH currently does not support CS/80 drives connected
> to a 12821A interface.
>
> 1. Has anybody already looked at what it would take to do this?

Yes.  For 3.9-0, I added the 7906H/20H/25H ICD drives interfaced via the
12821A card.  The intent was to create the framework for subsequently
adding CS/80 disc and Amigo tape drives via the 12821A interface while
first leveraging the disc simulation work from the 13037 MAC controller
discs (hp2100_ds.c).

> 2, Or already has some alpha/beta code written to do so?

No, although there is a future plan to address this.

> If neither of the above - some cursory thoughts as to how one might
> implement this feature...

With an eye toward future HP-IB interfacing, the ICD implementation
partitioned the simulation into a library of disc functions (hp_disclib.c),
the generic 12821A interface (hp2100_di.c), and separate "personality"
modules for the Amigo disc, CS/80 disc, and Amigo tape peripherals (the
existing hp2100_di_da.c, and the future hp2100_di_dc.c and hp2100_di_ma.c
files).  Adding a CS/80 disc simulation would be a matter of implementing
hp2100_di_dc.c and tying it into the disc library and 12821A simulation.

The comments in the files describe the partitioning.  If I may answer any
additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

> Thanks!

You're welcome.

                                      -- Dave