[Simh] VMS Network device support

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Jun 7 20:10:55 EDT 2013

I found an official DEC letter from 1992.

First, VAX Wide Area Networking is a separate product.  The kit name is
SYNC (e.g. SYNC012 on the CDs).
It has a separate PAK - one of which is WAN-DEVICE-DRIVERS.  The DUP for
HDLC and Bisync requires it, but
apparently not for DDCMP.  But the DMC/DMR and other sync lines do.

Second, many of our plans assume a decnet router.  VMS VAX requires the
DVNETRTG PAK to enable this.

I don't have current information, but
http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/vms_hobbyist_faq.txt
<http://www.aracnet.com/%7Ehealyzh/vms_hobbyist_faq.txt> suggests that
neither is in the Hobbyist PAK.  This may be because no one thought
they'd be of interest to hobbyists.  It's also possible that this
information has been superseded - it's 13 years old, so we need to
verify it.

Third, VAX DECnet/OSI Phase V officially withdrew support for the DMR11,
DMV11, KMV1A, KMS1P and  KMS11 devices.
I don't know if they stopped working, or just stopped being supported.
DEC suggested DMR->Ethernet, DMV/KMV-> DSV and KMS -> DMF32 as
replacements. (The DMC had previously been retired as the DMR was a more
capable device, and the DMC had some ucode bugs.)

This may mean that we have to use -11s for routers, if we can't get HP
to include these PAKs in the Hobbyist PAK for VMS.

Of course, anyone who is replacing real hardware with an emulator can
(as I understand it) move PAKs from real hardware to their emulator.

We can probably find enough PAKs this way for development, but someone
will have to take on finding the right person in HP to help create a
real solution.  Since the folks who set up the hobbyist program are long
gone, it may be a challenge, even though I don't see any reason for HP
to refuse.

Meantime, we should solve the technical problems first.  They're
probably easier...

--
This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.