[Simh] Anyone Have a SIMH Disk Image of a Phase III Node That Uses KDP or DUP?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Aug 2 13:20:26 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-02 19:08, Timothe Litt wrote:
> TOPS-20 for the KS is Phase II. Really.  Besides having a pretty good
> memory, I have recently re-read the sources and have decoded the node
> initialization messages actually sent while working on the KDP.

Uh. You yourself said it was phase III before.
(http://mailman.trailing-edge.com/pipermail/simh/2013-April/007357.html)

> PMR is fine for getting from a Phase II node out past a Phase III.  And
> yes, Phase II did support star topologies with so-called "intercept
> nodes" as routers (well, link forwarders.)  Phase II messages have an
> optional routing header to support this.

Yeah, PMR will do it. Still didn't make it "supported". :-)

> The KL did Phase III via the MCB (pdp-11 front ends), and eventually
> Phase IV over the KLNIA (ethernet).  The phase III implementation
> actually had the MCB masquerade as the -20 (Phase III), while talking
> Phase II to the -20.  Ugly, but at the time, the quickest way to get to
> Phase III.  Phase IV is when the -20 itself actually became smart.

Pretty much matches what I can recall, except that it was phase IV which
was implemented in the FE, while the actual machine was still talking
phase III. I guess I could look it up again, if it's really important.

> The TOPS-20 group abandoned the KS at Phase II, arguing that the KS
> couldn't support the newer, larger monitors.  Marc Crispin managed to
> squeeze much of the newer code into a KS, but it was very low on address
> space and never released.

MRC actually squeezed phase IV in. It sounds like you mixed up phase II
and phase III here... KS was running phase III. As you said in the link
I provided above, you yourself said as much before...

> I did not want TOPS-10 to fork, so I made TOPS-10 on the KS run DECnet
> Phase IV. TOPS-10 kept the KS going thru the end.  (Well, thru the
> present.)

:-)

> Since I'm probably what's left of DEC in 36-bit land, I'm not too
> worried about 'official support' :-)

Good point too.

> Yes, Phase III is a solid product, as is Phase IV.  (But Phase V is an
> engineering marvel - that broke all the rules for a sensible user
> interface: complexity, compatibility.  It's so unpopular that HP still
> offers Phase IV as an alternative on VMS today!  It's a shame that it
> turned out that way.)

Right. I know of plenty of people who "downgraded" back to phase IV.

> We'll see how far we can get with a VMS 3.something node - Rob thinks he
> can scare up a kit.

Good luck!

	Johnny