[Simh] DECnet for TOPS-10

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu Apr 18 23:58:28 EDT 2013

> * The actual KS10 supports one KDP with 2 DUPs.  There are several
>    reasons for this, like unibus load, unibus space and speed.  This
>    places some limits in case one wants to build a network of emulators
>    and want to run both ANF and DECnet.  The KMC itself supports 16
>    if I remember correctly.  We should have at least 6-8, and allow
>    for a fairly simple mod to Tops10 to handle them.
This isn't necessary; just need one line per protocol.  2 lines suffice
for TOPS-10 (and 1 for TOPS-20).  Just need a router for DECnet (a VAX
does nicely).  The ANF-10 router can be a pdp-11 with a DUP running the
ANF code (it ships and cross-assembles on TOPS-10; it assumes an 11/40
FE (DN87/DN20), but can be built stand-alone and remote-booted as a DN80
(see
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp10/TOPS10_softwareNotebooks/vol14/AA-D783B-TB_Remote_Station_Guide_Jul82.pdf
and
http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/dec/pdp10/TOPS10_softwareNotebooks/vol14/AA-W557A-TB_ANF-10.pdf).

Or the KS can route - if you want the KS to route AND you want DECnet,
then 3 lines would be required.

In real life, we used 11s for ANF and VAXes for DECnet; may as well
simulate the experience.  (DN200s were 11/34s, and DN22s were II/(04?);
both could run the ANF-10 code - at least the in-house versions).

We never had more than 2 DUPs on a KDP, though on TOPS-10 you COULD have
2 DUPs + a DMR, which provides the 3 lines.  (And as previously noted,
multiple DMRs are supported in the software.)

So there's no patch necessary and there's an opportunity to get the
ANF-10/pdp11 code dusted off.  We may need to get the boot ROM code
(M873 or M9301 or M9312) for the 11's from the LCG fiche.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.