[Simh] SIMH/DECWindows/Debian

Lennert Van Alboom lennert at vanalboom.org
Wed Sep 12 05:36:03 EDT 2012

The more obvious way would be configuring DECWindows, then connecting to it via
xdmcp. There's a few apps that can do this on Linux - Xnest and Xephyr are the
ones that come to mind.

With Xnest, you just do

$ Xnest -query my.vax.somedomain :1

And poof, instant (windowed) VAX loginscreen, if it's properly configured on
VMS side. I *think* I had to use Xephyr to run fullscreen and with reduced
security though, when I connected to my VMS desktop.

Or maybe I'm just mis-interpreting what you're trying to do :-)

Lennert