[Simh] Fastest platform for SIMH/VAX

Bruce Claremont Bruce.Claremont at MigrationSpecialties.com
Sun Oct 28 10:02:10 EDT 2012

It is straight forward.  The faster the host platform, the faster the emulator.  A high quality SSD will help as well.  The cheaper SSDs are not so good.  Using an SSD as a host boot device provides the best overall improvement.

At 04:41 AM 10/28/2012, Mark Wickens wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I was wondering if anyone had done any performance testing on SIMH? I'm specifically interested in the VAX platform. I'm presuming that a top of the range Core i7 is going to be pretty hard to beat? Is it best run on an SSD card for IO performance?
>
>Regards, Mark.
>
>--
>http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
>http://declegacy.org.uk
>http://retrochallenge.net
>https://twitter.com/#!/%40urbancamo

Mr. Bruce Claremont, Software Preservationist
Migration Specialties International, Inc.
217 West 2nd Street, Florence, CO   81226-1403
Bruce.Claremont at MigrationSpecialties.com
www.MigrationSpecialties.com
+1 719-784-9196, Fax: +1 888-854-3417

Continuity in Computing:  Founded in 1992, Migration Specialties offers modern solutions for legacy hardware & software.   Look to us for virtual VAX and Alpha solutions along with OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix support. Visit our web site for more information.