[Simh] Adding a third massbus to the VAX780 emulator

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Nov 21 16:03:17 EST 2012

I think this is totally the wrong strategy. If anything, you should try
to model this as close to how the actual hardware worked, and not do
some special thing that happens to just match your very specific
configuration.

What you need is to split the massbus handling, as such, from the
specific disks. You should then be able to create massbusses for you
machine, and then you attach disks to the massbus. It is a hierarchy,
and the config should reflect that.

I think simh's current approach of presenting things in a very flat way
is a bit too simplistic. I got annoyed the other day when I wanted more
than one DZ11 on a configuration, and realized I could not configure the
controllers as such at all, but instead configured the total number of
serial lines, with an implicit overflow from one controller to the next.
In real life, you might have a machine with four serial lines, but all
attached to separate DZ11.

Just specifying the endpoints without the ability to specify the
configuration in the middle layers will cause issues like the ones you
have, because simh then makes assumptions for you. (Such as having just
one massbus, and all disks attached to that one.)

In fact, I wonder if this will actually totally break something like
RSX-11M, which do not allow mixed device massbuses. Ie. in 11M you
cannot have both RM and RP disks on the same massbus.
M+ allows this, but then, M+ is rather more advanced... :-)

	Johnny