[Simh] VAX XQ and wireless networking

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Sat Nov 17 16:46:40 EST 2012

Al 17/11/12 22:04, En/na Sergey Oboguev ha escrit:
> In the latter case you'd need to find a way to tunnel 802.3 packets
> over 802.11 or over generic TCP/IP. General approach would be to
> attach SIMH XQ to Linux tap device on one side and hook tap/tun's
> other side into tunneling software. VDE
> (http://wiki.virtualsquare.org/wiki/index.php/VDE) does just that, but
> I personally do not have experience using VDE. Furthermore, there is
> some direct VDE support in the latest version of SIMH (assuming the
> simulator executable is built with VDE option enabled). I have not
> personally tried using it, but at a glance at the code, it looks like
> it allows to connect XQ to VDE_SWITCH directly (using vde:port
> syntax), not requiring tap device as an intermediary.
It does, and it works, but there is a caveat. I have not been successful
bridging the tapx device which the vde switch exposes to the wlan
physical interface. It is easily done with a real, wired ethernet, but
not with a wlan. There is a solution. VDE comes with some support
utilities which allow to "plug" into the virtual switch. Using vde_plug
and dpipe (another VDE utility which provides two-way redirection
between two unix processes) you can establish a ssh tunnel which acts as
a transport pipe for the raw ethernet packages used by VDE. It works at
level 2, so it should provide DECNET, LAT and LAVC connectivity (I have
not tried the last one). As a bonus, it works with any IP link,
including a tethered 3D link or even a POTS line.