[Simh] VAX XQ and wireless networking

Sergey Oboguev oboguev at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 16:04:42 EST 2012

I have not personally tried it, but here are few general remarks:

SIMH DEQNA/DELQA virtual devices talk 802.3, whereas WiFi (802.11) is different
from 802.3 in frame structure and everything else. WiFi may superficially look
like Ethernet (i.e. have similarly looking MAC address), but it is actually not,
so naive binding of XQ to host WiFi interface would not work for that reason.

In addition, guest operating system software using DEQNA/DELQA will likewise be
expecting 802.3 structured frames and protocol capabilities.

Therefore, some form of translation between 802.3 and 802.11 or tunneling of
802.3 packets through 802.11 (or generic TCP/IP) would be required.

If all you want is to connect SIMH instance to exterior TCP/IP network via IP
connectivity only (i.e. do not need VAXcluster, LAT or DECnet), then regular
host OS level bridging of tap interface (or Windows interface such as loopback
or wired Ethernet interfaces) to WiFi interface would be one thing to try.
Bridging is likely to suffice to translate IP packets from 802.3 MAC envelope to
802.11 and vice versa; that is it's purpose anyway.

If, on the other hand, you want to interconnect multiple SIMH instances over
WiFi utilizing not only IP, but also other Ethernet based protocols such as
VAXcluster or LAT or DECnet, host OS bridging may fail to translate those
protocols. In the latter case you'd need to find a way to tunnel 802.3 packets
over 802.11 or over generic TCP/IP. General approach would be to attach SIMH XQ
to Linux tap device on one side and hook tap/tun's other side into tunneling
software. VDE (http://wiki.virtualsquare.org/wiki/index.php/VDE) does just that,
but I personally do not have experience using VDE. Furthermore, there is some
direct VDE support in the latest version of SIMH (assuming the simulator
executable is built with VDE option enabled). I have not personally tried using
it, but at a glance at the code, it looks like it allows to connect XQ to
VDE_SWITCH directly (using vde:port syntax), not requiring tap device as an
intermediary.