[Simh] VAX XQ and wireless networking

Gary Lee Phillips tivo.overo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 15:58:13 EST 2012

I should have mentioned that I've tried setting up bridging and taptap
without success when using the wireless interface. I use it on my
desktop PCs (wired ethernet and Ubuntu) where it works OK though it's
very cumbersome to start up and shut down.

I thought the main advantage of a bridge was the fact that it lets the
host and the emulated machine speak directly to one another via
network packets, and that's a feature I don't really need in this
case. Using the serial port emulation with a VT100 emulation over a
tcp/ip socket is adequate and works well.

On the desktop machines, the taptap module seems to have a tendency to
"hang" on shutdown, even though the SIMH emulation has been closed
down normally. The unreleased bridge port will keep the entire host
from shutting down and requires a forced power off, which isn't very
nice.