[Simh] Data General - MV

Dell Setzer dsetzer at panix.com
Mon May 14 16:49:59 EDT 2012

The earlier DG systems (RDOS, 16-bit AOS, and some others) also had
realtime, preemptive, priority-driven multi-tasking, going back to the
'70s. I cut my teeth on those systems early in my programming career, and
never quite understood why everyone made such a big deal about "threads"
and concurrency when NT came out. We'd been doing that stuff for decades
in the DG world!

However, DG "tasks" were a bit primitive - there was only one intertask
synchronization mechanism: you could send a (16-bit) "message" to a
"mailbox", and receiver tasks could block themselves on a mailbox to await
a message. But, that's all you really need.

With 16-bit AOS (which supported multiple processes as well as multiple
tasks within a process), you had to use "IPC" (Interprocess Communication)
messages to talk across process boundries. The 16-bit AOS kernel didn't
really know about tasks - it just scheduled processes, while the task
scheduler actually ran as part of its enclosing process.

32-bit AOS/VS (and the later AOS/VS II) introduced fast(-ish) kernel
inner-ring calls which allowed you to "signal" a particular task in a
particular process, or wait for a signal, so you could avoid the rather
slow and clunky IPC mechanism to synchronize across processes.

I will leave emulation of the MV hardware, and/or re-writing AOS/VS to
others. What I would dearly love would be to find a 16-bit AOS systape
image somewhere and try to bring it up on the SIMH 16-bit Eclipse
emulator. I think Bruce Ray once mentioned that SIMH's Eclipse emulation
may not be quite complete enough to run AOS (though it runs RDOS just
fine), but that's a project I'd love to work on.

Fond memories!
...dell