[Simh] Data General - MV

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Fri May 11 11:47:04 EDT 2012

AOS/VS!  That brings back memories.  I used it in college back in the
1980's on an MV/8000.  Later at a reseller I worked for I had an MV/4000
in-house and various other MV's that were in various stages of being
sent to customers.  My last contact with AOS/VS would have been with
release 6.0.0.0 or 7.0.0.0 in late 1987.  Sadly I have forgotten a lot
about it though I still have reams of code I wrote back in the day as
well as some internals tools written in macro.  I did have some fun
patching the kernel to add "Load System Ring" privilege to PID 2 as well
as add an IO privilege to my profile that PREDITOR did not offer but
EXEC was more than happy to pass on to its children.

One thing that was quite advanced for its days was support of "Tasks"
which we now call "Threads".  The ability to have a program run several
sections of code simultaneously was an incredible concept though
necessary in order to implement Control-C/Control-A handlers.
Cross-task synchronization and deadlocking were all issues I learned
about before they again became issues for the "multi-threading" community.

If there ever was such an emulator I would not mind trying it out.
Currently I play with the PDP11 and VAX emulators as I would up spending
much more time working with DEC equipment than DG.  As such, I have
retained a lot more knowledge about RSTS/E and VMS than I have about AOS/VS

Robert