[Simh] Data General - MV

Matt Kaulbach niomosy at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:40:21 EDT 2012

Having been playing around with OpenVMS for a bit, AOS/VS is one I've
been looking forward to playing with.  Unfortunately I would be just
about useless at helping get this going.

As far as your options, are you talking about something like a FreeVMS
equivalent for AOS/VS?  Basically a separate OS that presents an
AOS-like operating system without the original code?  If so, that
could be interesting in its own right.  It would seem much more effort
than option 1 and, given the FreeVMS project, I would wonder how far
this would go.

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Steve Merrony <merrony at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have heard it said that most successful OS efforts begin with with someone
> who 'has an itch to scratch'.  My persistent itch is a curious desire to
> have AOS/VS running in some form.
>
> Over the years there has been a small amount of discussion on this forum
> about 32-bit DG, but it always peters out with someone saying they are in
> touch with ex-DG IP holders and then "nothing continues to happen"...  Given
> the historical interest in the creation of the Eagle this seems to me to be
> a crying shame.
>
> I have been pondering a way forward; as I see it there are two options:
>
> 1. We go ahead with an MV simulator in SimH.  There is a lot of intact
> hardware documentation freely available on the net so I would have thought
> this is technically feasible.  The problem is software, but there are a few
> MVs around the world now run by enthusiasts  - maybe they could be persuaded
> to share privately until an official solution is worked out?
>
> 2. A non-SimH route: we re-implement AOS/VS on modern hardware!  The whole
> OS, not just the CLI.  This is clearly a wildly different option, and at
> least as much work as option 1, but I think it could be a fascinating
> project in its own right.
>
> Anyone interested?
>

> --
> Stephen Merrony

"You can't have everything. I mean, where would you put it?" -Steven Wright