[Simh] smallest pdp-11 that can run TECO and sockets(*)?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Thu Jun 28 16:07:14 EDT 2012

I'm looking to do a crazy experiment and I'm looking for a small
PDP-11 configuration that can run TECO and has some sort of
communication to another host.

The obvious inter-host communication technology that pops into mind is
sockets, but I realize that it's hard to have a sockets implementation
on a small machine if you restrict yourself to what DEC distributed
and don't roll your own (and I don't intend to roll my own).

So, a bidirectional asynchronous serial communication port may be a
sufficient standin for sockets, but I'd like to try first something
that can run sockets so that the SIMH machine, when configured with
networking, can accept an incoming socket request directly.

Suggestions?
     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>