[Simh] Bug (?) in vax (3900) and pdp11 SIMH 3.9

Thomas Pfau tfpfau at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 18:27:54 EDT 2012

How are you starting simh?  I had a similar problem once.  I had another
program that would do some setup and then fork and exec simh.  The program
wasn't properly redirecting stdin so whan simh came to a prompt it would
see end of file.  When that happened simh would just read again.  The
output looked just like what you posted.

2012/6/21 Jordi Guillaumes i Pons <jg at jordi.guillaumes.name>

> It happens after the simulator has been running for some days. In my case
> I run it under "screen", but I don't know if that is related to the issue.
>
> Symptom: after hitting "CTRL-E" the simulator seems to enter an endless
> loop printing the prompt "simh>" until it is killed:
>
> m> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim>
> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim>
> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim>
> sim>  sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim>
> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim>
> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim> sim>
>
> It does NOT take any input at this stage, and as observed, it prints the
> prompt without any endline. The CPU usage tops at a 100% (or whatever % is
> available).
>
> I've seen it happening with the 3900 and the pdp11 simulators (that one
> running RSTS-11).
>
> I run the simulator under Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS, amd64 bits architecture.
>

> Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
> jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
> HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES

Thomas Pfau