[Simh] Cross-assemblers, cross-compilers: success! (so far)

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Wed Jul 25 04:25:13 EDT 2012

Al 25/07/12 10:16, En/na Jan-Benedict Glaw ha escrit:
<jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:
 > Which exact binutils version did you build? Current version from the
source code management system? Please tell us where the syntax >error
is! That's something that can easily be fixed! The binary conversion is
another thing. It isn't too hard to teach binutils's `objcopy' to >do
something like that. That's where I would start searching to generate
some different binary format.

jguillaumes at eeepc2jordi:~$ pdp11-aout-ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.22

I downloaded the last version from one of the gnu mirror sites.
Unfortunately, I can't remember which one. The error message I get is
this one:

jguillaumes at eeepc2jordi:~$ pdp11-aout-ld
pdp11-aout-ld:built in linker script:7: syntax error

It shows even when you invoke the linker without any parameters. I wrote
a small script to overcome this problem. It seems to work OK beyond this
issue. I'll have a look at that; I guess it's an easy fix to the linker
script. And maybe I'll find some time to also bake a simh-papertape
output bfd. Right now, binutils are building :) MfG, JBG

I thought for a moment about building the backend for BFD, but I have no
idea about how to do it (I never had to know about BFD nor ld backends
before :)), so I decided to write an a.out to papertape converter. It
was really easy, so for someone knowledgeable on BFD/ld it _could_ be
also easy to make that backend.

Of course, binutils is a widely used package, and the public interest of
being able to build paper tape images for a simulator of an almost dead
architecture is... debatable :) Of course, the fun factor already applies :)