[Simh] Subject:, Re: smallest pdp-11 that can run TECO and sockets(*)?

Michael Bloom mabloom at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 6 05:21:48 EDT 2012

Richard,

We were initially given two requirements, and a goal:

1) The design will require using TECO to massage data.
2) The design will require providing file service to (at least) one other host, so some form of bi-directional communication must be available.

GOAL: The goal is "to do a crazy experiment",  that may depend on said experiment being run on a real or simulated PDP-11.

In other posts, we have established a number of different ways of
satisfying the two stated requirements without a PDP-11 also being
absolutely necessary.

What remains elusive, to at least some of us, is an unnamed third
requirement that would make a pdp-11 necessary for the experiment to run
as desired. Can you elaborate on this? (without revealing anything
proprietary, of course)

What aspect of the experiment requires a pdp-11 architecture?  (an
example of this aspect might be needing to assemble MACRO-11 files
generated by massaging data with TECO).

- michael