[Simh] smallest pdp-11 that can run TECO and sockets(*)?

Michael Bloom mabloom at dslextreme.com
Wed Jul 4 00:59:31 EDT 2012

Richard,

 From reading your post (and the replies),  I think you may be trying to
solve the wrong problem.

All you really need is some kind of "box" that runs TECO and has
sockets, right?

For most purposes, you can have that without additionally needing a
(real or emulated) PDP-11.

Pete Siemsen wrote an open source version of TECO in C many years ago,
which has been updated more recently by Tom Almy.   It can run on DOS,
Linux/Unix, Win32, and OS/2.  It is called TECOC.  The most recent
version, I believe, is called "tecoc0398".

I use it periodically for filter tasks that would be more difficult or
more time-consuming to accomplish with Unix tools such as awk or perl.

The main drawback is that the scope (^W, :W, etc) commands do not
work.   Unfortunately, that means that my old EDMACS macro package
(DECUS 11-737) won't work (:  , and neither will VTEDIT.

Other than that, it is pretty faithful to the TECO V40 manual, a copy of
which is included.

- Michael