[Simh] mac lisp on pdp-10?

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Mon Jul 2 18:04:24 EDT 2012

> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:44:12 -1000
> From: Tim Newsham <tim.newsham at gmail.com>

> Can ITS and maclisp run on the simh pdp-10 emulator?
> Does it run shrdlu?

Yes, they can.  I've been doing it for years.

I've not tried SHRDLU on ITS.

> Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:38:05 -1000
> From: Tim Newsham <tim.newsham at gmail.com>

> I take that back.. the config files present in the klh10 dist under run
> already reference the PI-ITS-RP06.0-dbd9 file.

> Unfortunately I havent had much luck running it yet..  not sure why, but
> possibly because I'm on a 64-bit linux and I built everything with "gcc
> -m32".  I built "base-ks-its" and copied the files from run/ksits and when I
> run "kn10-ks klh10-kn.ini" and type "go" it doesnt seem to be doing anything.
> If I hit a key the first key seems to have no visible effect but following
> keys print out a message like "[CTYI: 15 => 415, old 415]".  not sure if this
> is the emulator misbehaving, or me doing something wrong.

I remember seeing this under ks-kn10, but don't remember what the fix was off
hand.  I'm away from my computer until later this week, so I'll have to look
that up and get back to you, probably not on the SimH list.

The SimH KS-10 is much better behaved for ITS, in my experience; I only use
KLH10 for Tops-20 v7.x and Tops-10 v7.04.  Then again, I usually use the real
hardware at the museum for all three.

You need to look at Bjorn Victor's intro pages http://victor.se/bjorn/its/ for
how to set things up, even if you think you intend to use Ken Harrenstien's
distribution on the PI disk image (which you will have to convert to SimH
format with the KLH10 tools).

                                                                Rich Alderson