[Simh] trouble selecting VAX ethernet on CentOS

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Wed Feb 29 15:45:42 EST 2012

On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Michael Bloom wrote:
> That's great news.
>
> I'm still curious as to the cause of gdb not being able to give a useful stack
> trace on your system.

The lack of a stack trace was due to the useful part of the stack being overwritten by the code in a eth_devices which was called by eth_getname.  The code in eth_devices was passed a pointer to a stack array declared in eth_getname.  The code in eth_devices wrote beyond the bounds of that array and corrupted some of the return context on the stack.