[Simh] Simh and OpenVMS Integrity V8.4 Network Support issues

Maurizio De Tommaso (Gmail) maurizio.detommaso at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 11:59:58 EST 2012

Hello SIMH supporters,

I'm trying to run SIMH and Vax emulator with network support on-top of one rx1620 integrity server (2 socket - 2 cores ) with OpenVMS V8.4 UPD600 but I encountered some problems. I have downloaded the new pcap library from site http://9track.net/simh/pcap and simh V3.8-1. Then I have modified the descrip.mms file as the site 9track suggests.

I'm able to build correctly the libpcap library and the Vax 3900 emulator without errors. Under SIMH environment I'm able to list and to attach the network adapter ("show xq eth" and "attach xq eth1"), but unfortunately if I do boot the OpenVMS Vax V7.3 environment and I make the network protocols startup the network doesn't work (protocols used : SCS, Decnet, LAT  and  TCP/IP - all correctly configured).

I have stopped all the protocols on the adapter I have dedicated to SIMH (EIB0:) on Integrity side and I see only the protocol "USER" under "SDA> Show Lan" output when I start the Vax emulator.

Can you tell me if anyone have tested the SIMH with the network support under OpenVMS Integrity V8.4 or under other OpenVMS I64 version ?
Is this a known problem ?

Furthermore SIMH Vax emulator builded with network support, random does crash the Integrity server (CPUSPINWAIT).

Any hints ?

Best regards,
Maurizio De Tommaso