[Simh] simh under slackware64 AND OSX

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Feb 21 19:46:24 EST 2012

The makefile for the as yet unreleased simh distribution will use your vendor provided libpcap components which are usually provided in a package called libpcap-dev.  In general, the vendor libpcap-dev package has fewer installation/build pitfalls and possible interactions with other libpcap applications (tcpdump, wireshark, etc.).

This makefile will automatically do the right thing on all Linux distributions, OSX, Solaris, *BSD, cygwin, mingw32, Android etc.  If you've got libpcap components installed, then they will be detected and used.  It will build a simulator with the native gcc installed on your OS (32bit or 64bit).

This code can be browsed at https://github.com/markpizz/simh.  A zip download of the current source is available at: https://github.com/markpizz/simh/zipball/master (Save what that URL returns as a .zip file and unpack it with unzip -aa ).

This code has extended networking support.  Specifically, tun/tap networking is integrated into the code, so no external program (taptap) is needed to do bridged networking on Linux.  There also is built support for vde networking on Linux (and any other host which it may run on).

You DO NOT need to invoke make with any arguments to build network capable simulators as long as the necessary libpcap components are available on the system doing the building.

Please let me know if anyone finds any build or other issues.

Thanks.

- Mark Pizzolato