[Simh] OT - Windows - Re: Alpha simulator performance

Villy Madsen Villy.Madsen at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 22 23:22:18 EDT 2012

It has been a number of decades since I last seriously programmed under VMS.
Actually the 11/750 was announced just prior to us starting a Call Center
project on a 11/70.  The announcement of the '750 caused me to do a quick redo
of the project budget.  The cost of the '750 project coming in less than the '70
was a bonus.

The only real mistake that we made was deciding to go with Basic rather than
Fortran.  We had a number of issues with Basic and in fact ended up do some of
the critical parts of the APP in Fortran speeded things up.  (at one point the
Basic compiler would stop (with no messages) compiling when the code segment hit
64K.

If we had stuck with Fortran, we would not have had the problem of pummeling one
of the programmers whenever they used a gosub or a dynamically allocated string.
Gosubs because there was no traceback  and dynamic  strings because we didn't
want the overhead.

RMS was a joy for us - so much more reliable than what we had used with BP2 in
the past.

Pretty archaic by today's standards - but - it lasted for more than 25 years,
until the need that had driven it's creation disappeared.  It was Y2K compliant
- they contracted me to do (I had left the company some 20 years before).  It
did have some pains just prior to final termination.  It had problems as the
call volume dropped down to almost nothing.  It kept complaining that it wasn't
getting any calls!

We used all three types of RMS files, VMS mailboxes, the queue management
software was a doubly linked linklist of doubly linked  linklists (of calls).
One linklist for each minute of the day.  We had an audit routine that would
periodically traipse through the linklists - checking them for saneness.  I
think it took a month - to get all of the mistakes out.  After that it just
worked and worked and worked.  Never stressed the 11/750 - we ran a simulation
the showed that the 11/750 could have easily handled 10x the peak load that we
expected over the planned 5 year life.  It ran on the '750 until it was moved to
a cluster.

Do I miss having a natively supported file system like RMS - I sure do.  Far
simpler than using a relational database where I don't need the capability of
ad-hoc queries.

I won't call the lack of RMS an advantage - and I don't classify the imposition
of file data structures on an application is I don't think a negative thing.

Sure there are times when you need such things, but looking at the quality of
much of the software that we see these days, I really wonder how much of an
advantage the freedom to do almost anything with anything really is...

Also - as far as the VAX hardware is concerned - remember that it was the first
hardware to support no ex.  And then of course, if you were using Oracle, it
disabled the feature.....

Those were the good old days in more ways than one....

Villy