[Simh] Reading VMS Backup tapes on Linux

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Apr 8 12:45:43 EDT 2012

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 13:00:06 -0400
> From: Stephen Hoffman <Info at HoffmanLabs.Com>
>

> <snip>
> If you're looking for a project to assist with, then Mr Elson might be interested in some assistance with his virtual tape project.
Well, I'm pretty satisfied so far.  I have been able to recover the
files from several
VMS Backup tapes created with different VMS versions, different tape
drives and
maybe some different types of files, too.  So, this all seems to be
working well.
I can also recover ASCII text in both ANSI-D (counted record length) and
CR/LF
separated files.
I tried to recover some Burroughs data for a friend (that was what
largely started this
whole exercise) and his tapes are complete crap, the oxide is coming off
in chunks.
But, my tapes must have been stored in better conditions, they are still
quite
recoverable.

Thanks much for keeping vmsbackup alive, I just don't know if I would
have gone to
the trouble of trying to decipher a backup tape without such a program
available.

Jon