[Simh] Reading VMS Backup tapes on Linux (Larry Baker)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Apr 7 13:27:04 EDT 2012

simh-request at trailing-edge.com wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:01:13 -0700
> From: Larry Baker <baker at usgs.gov>
> To: simh at trailing-edge.com
> Subject: Re: [Simh] Reading VMS Backup tapes on Linux
>
> Jon,
>
> It is not always the case that the record length for a save set will
> be 8192.  That is the default value for save sets written directly to
> tape.  Save sets written directly to disk use 32760 (I think).  The
> value can be specified in the backup command.

Right, should have made it clear you need to know the block size from
when the tape
was read to be able to supply the correct number to the program.
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:35:50 -0700
> From: Sean O'Banion <sean at obanion.us>
> To: simh at trailing-edge.com
> Cc: Stephen Hoffman <info at hoffmanlabs.com>
> Subject: Re: [Simh] Reading VMS Backup tapes on Linux
>
> Steve,
>
> "Direct-access tape support": do you have any suggestions on a USB to SCSi adapter that I might try testing my TZ30 tape drive on my Mac Mini (Intel) under OS X 10.6.8?  Not that I think I can get to it soon (some employment is needed...), but so I can look for hardware that might serve the purpose.

Never heard of such a device, although I can see the usefulness.  I have
used some
old SCSI tape drives on Linux using an Adaptec PCI-SCSI adaptor, and it
generally
works.  Some old drives don't support SCSI-II and so the driver searches
for commands
that are acceptable to the drive.

Jon