[Simh] SIMH vax.ini fine tuning

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Mon Sep 19 17:43:44 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 17:23:18 -0400, Dan Gahlinger <dgahling at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If you're using linux, then another thing you can use is "nice".
> I always "nice" simh when it's running to keep cpu usage down overall.
>
> nice is one of the handiest linux/unix tools around.

But please note that `nice' doesn't limit a process's CPU time per se.
By using it, you're telling the kernel that this process should only
get CPU cycles when there's no other process that might want to have
them.

On an otherwise idle systems, it doesn't really make a difference.
SIMH will run on 100% simulating the guest OS's idle loop (or real
work, though.)  That is, you won't see power savings on the host
system by nice'ing SIMH down. You may get that once you have useable
idle loop detection.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
 Signature of:                    Don't believe in miracles: Rely on them!