[Simh] what is the recommended way to config network for simh/VAX

Ron Young rly1 at embarqmail.com
Thu Sep 8 01:26:29 EDT 2011

Hi All:

   I recently upgraded my ubuntu box to version 10.10 and I'm trying to
   get openvms/vax (hobbyist 7.2 CD) to use networking with simh
   3.8.2-rc2. Since I haven't played with vms for many years, I'm using
   Phillip Wherry's web page as an installation guide
   (http://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html)

   I'm confused on what is the correct method to configure the
   network. I've tried several different approaches with no success
   (and some like bridging with taptap as described at
   http://www.retrocomputinggeek.com/retrowiki/SIMHNetworking/ ended
   up "hanging" the interface -- no fun when working remotely).

   Does anyone have a straight-forward procedure (config files, specific
   packages, etc) that is known to work?

   my setup is:

      ubuntu 10.10 (32bit) Linux 2.6.32-33-generic-pae
      simh-3.8.2-rc2 (from the downloaded zip file simhv38-2-rc2.zip)
      wired ethernet interface (eth1 ip: 192.168.2.xx/24).

      Downloading the taptap.c version referenced on the
      retrocomputinggeek.com webpage results in an empty file/blank page
      in browser).

      I tried two different versions of taptap: taptap-1.0.tar.bz2
      (http://www.munted.org.uk/programming/taptap/) and taptap-modified.c
      (http://www.itsecuritygeek.com/files/taptap-modified.c)

   Any help would be greatly appreciated,

   thanks