[Simh] PDP-11 Mag Tapes

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Tue Oct 11 10:22:59 EDT 2011

Under some circumstances DOS-11 tapes have the last record of a text file, shorter than 512 bytes. And it can be an odd length. I've seen some tools that deal with tape images, getting confused by tape records with odd lengths. Note that DECUS TPC for example pads out the tape record with an extra byte etc. (well really that's probably RMS-11). With you saying that not all files are listed on some tapes... I wonder if the tape image is "out of sync" after an odd length block.

You might try running RT-11 DIR/DOS (aka FILEX) against the same tape images. If it's the odd record length thing then it probably gets out of sync at the same place (although surely with a different error message.)

I myself am interested in old DECUS stuff from that era. E.g. the early DOS-11 and RSTS-11 stuff that DECUS published on machine-readable media. Generally DECUS sent that stuff around on paper tape but you might run across copies of it on 9-track.

With regards to early RT-11, we already have copies all the way back to V1. But DOS-11 stuff from that era is spotty at best in comparison.