[Simh] DZ and VH device oddities under RSTS/E 10.1

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:36:56 EDT 2011

Hello again everyone;

First I'll start by responding to some of the responses I have received:

Mr. Pizzolato:
I attempted setting the line settings in RSTS/E. I found it works
using the command "SET TERMINAL <keyboard line>:/PERMANENT/DIALUP" and
because RSTS/E assumes everything is an LA36, I also tack on
"/DEVICE_TYPE=VT100" to the end of that.

My START.COM file has expanded to quite a large volume in the terminal
characteristics area.

Mr. Myers:
The priamry issue has been fixed.

Well, I can get most of the layered products installed, as I knew about the
@[0,1]install layered_products" command, my problem was getting tapes
mounted because I didn't know the tape label. The trick of opening the
file in Notepad/Vim/<insert text editor here> was helpful (though I
was able to get the BASIC-PLUS 2, DECmail-11 and FMS11 tape labels
without difficulty).

Only problem is, I can't seem to get the Fortran 77 V5.4 tape to
install. I found the tape label (F77504), got the tape mounted and
tried running the layered products installer, but the installer
helpfully informed me of having the wrong tape label. So Fortran-77
isn't installing for me.

Also, where or what are the command files for the various layered
products that I need to add to the START.COM file? And where would I
add the command files to START.COM?

Mr. Boerhout:
I just re-ran the SYSGEN for V10.1; I saw nothing at all mentioning
the DZ or VH devices. I did see questions regarding some of the
synchronous networking interfaces and devices for talking to IBM.

Though yeah, as I mentioned in my respone to Mr. Pizzolato I was able
to get it working by cramming 32 "SET TERMINAL <keyboard
number>/PERMANENT/DIALUP/DEVICE_TYPE=VT100" into the RSTS/E START.COM
file.

So I've managed to correct my whole issue of the remote consoles being
seen as physically directly connected, and not as modem lines. So to
re-iterate my current issue, I'm having difficulty installing some of
the layered products in RSTS/E. Namely Fortran 77 and C for the
PDP-11. Also, I have no idea what commands to add into my RSTS/E
START.COM so that the layered products that have been installed,
remain installed when I reboot the system.

Trying to install the Fortran 77 compiler via the normal method
("@[0,1]install layered_products") has the layered products instaler
helpfully inform me that the tape label is wrong and that it won't
install. The tape image I'm using is the one in "fortran-77_v5_4.zp"
file found here: ftp://ftp.trailing-edge.com/pub/rsts_dists/

The C compiler is the one on the tape in the "c_v1_2.zip" file. The C
compiler isn't even listed in the layered products installer so I have
no idea what to do.

Thanks to any one at all who can provide help.

Cheers!