[Simh] need help with vax780 on linux

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Wed Jul 27 16:42:20 EDT 2011

Sorry to top-post, but I'm fighting with Outlook.

I've used the vax780 SIMH emulator, and I've also restored a VAX-11/780(-5), so I wanted to mention a couple of things.

The VAX-11/780 and /785 boot off an RX01.  TU-58 boot was later.

Yes, a /780 will boot VMS from a CD, but requires the RX01 to bring up the VAX.  This is one way in which SIMH is significantly different from a real VAX-11.  After the microcode and VMB.EXE are loaded, the VAX deals with device abstractions; our system is set up with a hierarchical storage controller over CI and we have a CDROM installed in one of the shelves.  The standard installation method, i.e. running standalone BACKUP from the CDROM, works just fine.

I see that the OP solved his problem through known changes to the source - all good.  GCC is a mixed blessing....  -- Ian