[Simh] need help with vax780 on linux

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 24 13:29:20 EDT 2011

Incorrect, if it was booting the CD, the banner would show VMS 6.0
not VMS 4.2, so it's definitely reading the DSK

    Just some thoughts that fly by in reading you post:

    From the mailed .INI-file, the commands set up rq0 as a CD with an
    attached .ISO-file.

    Then you try to boot from this "CD".

    Q1: Should the 780-emulator be able to recognize a CD as a device? -
    In those days the TU58 was "the media" for console works...

    Q2: If this booting is proper after all, and the file you have
    attached to the rq0 is the boot-disc you intend to use, should it
    really be attached to a "read-only" device like a CD, not to a disc?
    - I know later systems can boot from a CD, but doesn't that require
    booting a system image that is tailored to this task - i.e. that
    doesn't require any dump-files or similar?

    (You say that the emulator reads your .DSK properly, but to my eyes
    does it only read the file vms6_0.iso, ie the CD-immage).

    All my best anyhow - every effort to maintain this generation of
    systems indicates a great spirit!

    /Göran