[Simh] Don Daglow's Dungeon

Pierre Francesco pierrefrancescoster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 12:49:09 EST 2011

I am interested in the early history of computer role-playing games, and so
I have been seeking out and playing early examples of the genre. The PLATO
games (pedit5, orthanc, DND, Oubliette, etc.) are easy enough to find on
Cyber1. However, one game has eluded me: Don Daglow's 1975 (or 1976) rpg
Dungeon. According to Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_%28computer_game%29), Daglow wrote it
on Claremont University Center's PDP-10 (although it does not state for
which operating system). The article also says that the game was widely
distributed via DECUS; while I did not find anything looking through the
tape archives on pdp10.trailing-edge.com, I do not think I know what to
look for.

Has anyone ever seen this game on any archive tapes on the net? Otherwise,
does anyone know where a possible copy may be found?

NOTE: This is NOT the prototype of Zork; this is an earlier game that bears
the same name.