[Simh] Byte-swapped tar tape circa 1987

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Aug 1 13:53:29 EDT 2011

On 8/1/11 10:34 AM, Larry Baker wrote:

> I neglected to mention that, out of the eight tapes I tried to read last week, one kept getting stuck on the read head. It was a different brand than the other tapes

Memorex?

If they are mid-80's tapes, the binder has become sticky.
There is nothing you can do other than dehydrating them by baking with a lot of airflow.

I have read thousands of tapes, and sticky shed is a serious problem with tapes from the
early to mid 80's. Memorex MRX4 red and gray label is the worst.