[Simh] Byte-swapped tar tape circa 1987

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Mon Aug 1 13:34:55 EDT 2011

Good point.

About 15-20 years ago we transferred our library (100's, maybe over
1000) of 9-track tapes to a disk archive.  I think we sent the tapes
out to be cooked, which was to make sure the adhesive bonding the
oxide coating to the mylar tape was good.  I also remember the person
who played back the tapes running them through a tape cleaning machine
before playing them back.

I neglected to mention that, out of the eight tapes I tried to read
last week, one kept getting stuck on the read head.  We have a
streaming tape drive now, and it is good at stopping right away when
that happens.  I have never had this happen before.  I cleaned the
tape surface with alcohol, but that did not help.  There must also be
some sort of lubrication in the oxide on 9-track tapes that is no
longer effective on this tape.  It was a different brand than the
other tapes, perhaps inferior.  I remember in the old days there were
tape head cleaning fluids.  I assumed they were just alcohol.  Now I
wonder if perhaps they also included a lubricant.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov