[Simh] SIMH future releases / Sourceforge project

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Sep 3 16:49:28 EDT 2010

In article <B136EDE3DF5EC441B6F08E0A7AB872450AC9660B50 at EX2K7-CMS-1.wmata.local>,
    "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa at wmata.com>  writes:

> But I have to admit that I'm not familiar with a formalism that's
> general enough to do all this and also auto-documents the emulated system.

It sounds like you're unfamiliar with the current standard practices
of unit testing.

You might want to consult the online free edition of "xUnit Test
Patterns" at <http://xunitpatterns.com/>.  In particular:

- Introductory Narratives
  <http://xunitpatterns.com/Introductory%20Narratives.html>

- Tests as Documentation
  <http://xunitpatterns.com/Goals%20of%20Test%20Automation.html#Tests%20as%20Documentation>

> To me it's mostly an academic "this could exist" thing. I'd love to
> be educat ed!

Oh it most definately exists.  I do it 5 days a week for a living.
So do lots of other people.  This is pretty much standard practice in
software engineering these days, at least among all the software
engineers I know/work with.  They either do it routinely or know that
they should be doing it routinely and that others are successfully
doing it routinely.