[Simh] SIMH future releases / Sourceforge project

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:00:34 EDT 2010

Well the big thing that is needed is binary builds for other platforms, and
some kind of a 'test suite' to really verify that these emulators work
correctly.

I've done what I can, but honestly I don't know all that much about these
older platforms....  Maybe with a resurgence of interest we can finally get
at least
one OS test case for everything?

Sourceforge is at least 'established', and it does provide world wide
mirroring, and hell it's FREE which IMHO is a 'good thing'.  The other nice
thing is that you don't need any weird tools to download any release, os or
patch, as they are all available to any HTTP 1.1 compliant browsers,
although they recently have gone the path of AJAX hell... but you can still
figure out some kind of direct link from any browser.

If anything I think the 'google' effect to the soruceforge thing is pretty
low, but then how many SIMH users are there really out there?

Is it even worth asking for a census?  Am I just thinking over the top???  I
judged platform priority from the old 3.7-3 release of SIMH when I started
uploading what I could, and I was kind of surprised that it went
win32,MS-DOS,Linux,OSX,NeXTSTEP....

At any rate, for the current
MS-DOS<http://sourceforge.net/projects/simh/files/simh%20binaries/3-8.1/simh-3.8-1_MS-DOSi386-exe.zip/download>"lcd"
these are the following platforms I can verify to some degree:

*Altair (CP/M,ALTDOS)
*Altair Z80 (CP/M)
*HP2100 (Basic)
*ID32 (Unix6 &7)
*Nova (RDOS)
*PDP11 (Unix1 restoration)
*PDP8 (OS8)
*SWTP (FLEX...? I forget how to even get beyond $ prompts)
*VAX (Quasijarus BSD)
*VAX/11780 (BSD 4.2)

Naturally things like VMS aren't free, so we can't put them online, but
things that *are* free I'd love to be able to include some kind of basic
users guide, to get to know the machine/platforms.... It's a steep curve for
anyone who's never used these old machines before...   And like everything
else on the internet, things seem to show up, then suddenly disappear, and
even with large hiatuses on my own stuff, sourceforge has kept things around
which is nice.

Oh well I see I'm rambling like crazy so I'll stop for now, but that's my

Jason Stevens