[Simh] SIMH future releases / Sourceforge project (was RE:NetBSD5.0.2)

Armistead, Jason Jason.Armistead at otis.com
Thu Sep 2 08:47:37 EDT 2010

Michael Kerpan wrote:

> There comes a time in the life of many long-term open source projects
> when the original maintainers can no longer be as active as they once
> were. The joy of open source, though, is that if that happens the
> community can continue to update the software. While if there continue
> to be no official releases, we may have to make some efforts to start
< to take our patch collections and turn them into better-tested
> versions, the fact that we have tools like Sourceforge available makes
> that task less daunting than it might otherwise be.

I agree with what's been written by Michael.  I think that time of life may have arrived for SIMH, and it's time to figure out the process that needs to be adopted going forward.  All of the who, what, when, where, why and how questions need to be figured out.  People on this list have particular expertise and knowledge from working for the companies who produced these systems, or from using the systems extensively, some have access to system documentation and/or real hardware, others have access to the various host platforms, host OS's and build environments, etc.  This needs to be captured and then leveraged to best ensure SIMH's ongoing success.

Would it be useful to have a documentation wiki with restricted/authenticated accounts for edit access (mainly to prevent spam bots) ?  The mailing list archives are there, but perhaps not as friendly to search and cross-link information that can be gleaned from mailing list postings.

Jason