[Simh] simh & hardware - pdp-11 psw in supervisor mode?

Brad Parker brad at heeltoe.com
Sun Oct 24 14:33:42 EDT 2010

  I have a low-level pdp-11 question...

I'm confused about writing to the PSW on cpu's which support user &
supervisor mode.  My
read of the docs is that in user mode you should not be able to write
the "mode" bits of the PSW.

(or, perhaps more accurately, you should not be able to *clear* any mode
bits from user space)

I have a little diagnostic which doesn't work as I though it should
under simh and I thought I'd
ask what others think...

Basically, simh allows code running in "user mode" to write the PSW even
when (I claim) it
should not.   I have not tried this on a real 11/44 or 11/34 yet, but I
can/will.

Should simh allow this?  In the test blow the "clr @#PSW" is successful
when run
on simh and I think it should basically be a nop...

(which begs another question - should it be a nop? or a exception?)

A side question might be "the psw is not protected from writes, except
by using
the mmu" - is this true on all models?  or just some?  The 11/40 manual
implies
that it *is* protected.  But 11/73 docs seem to say the opposite and
imply using the mmu.

diagnostic follows:

     .TITLE test17
     .ASECT
PSW=177776    ;processor status word
     .=34
     .word    200
     .word    0007
     .=200
     mov    #200, r5    ;we should be in kernel mode here
     rti
     .=500
     clr    @#PSW        ;kernel mode
     mov    #500,sp        ;sp=500 in kernel mode
     mov    #140000,@#PSW    ;user mode
     mov    #700,sp        ;sp=700 in user mode
     trap    377        ;should move us to kernel mode
     nop
     clr    @#PSW        ;back to kernel mode
     nop
     halt